Is there such a thing as too much ice cream?
Also, does anyone else just want to shake the hand of the person who discovered that blending frozen bananas creates this miraculous, creamy consistency? I know I do. Seriously guys, nice cream is life.
There’s a cherry tree in our backyard that has the prettiest flowers when it blooms. This year it has matured enough to yield some pretty sweet cherries so we did our best to pick them all. What really surprised me though, was how quickly they came and went. I walked out back a few days ago and they were literally gone already. I was only able to find about three good ones on the ground, that’s it. It kinda reminds you how fast life comes and goes, you know?
Luckily I had frozen a lot of them so I decided what I needed to do was make something centered around cherries. I knew I wanted it to be refreshing and really cold to beat this warm Summer weather. It also needed to have some chocolate and berries because you know how obsessed I am with those things.
To be completely honest, I sometimes plan my recipes around my photos. When I think of cherries, one of the first things I imagine is seeing one crowning a glorious treat like this. It was a pretty elaborate vision in my mind and that’s when I decided some nice cream was the way to go.
As I can never fail to include this detail when applicable, these are so easy! They took me less than ten minutes to prepare and that chocolate sauce on top is only 3-ingredients. You may have tried this little hack before. It’s known as a “magic shell” for how it hardens onto your ice cream, or in this case “nice cream”. Now obviously it’s not so magical if you aren’t a six-year-old, but one could argue that the taste is.
Going back to the topic of imaging food, I can totally picture these being a hit at any party or gathering you might have. You could even go the extra mile and make a toppings bar full of sliced fruits, chopped nuts, and dare I say; sprinkles!
Craving dessert, but trying to be good? These nice cream sundaes take all of 10 minutes to make and are pretty healthy too!
- 5-6 very ripe (frozen) bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 3/4 cup frozen cherries, pitted
- 3/4 cup frozen mixed berries
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- fresh cherries, for the top
- In a blender or food processor, blend the bananas until smooth and creamy (you may need to scrape the sides a few time between pulses). Pour into a separate bowl or container and place in the freezer while preparing the other things.
- In double boiler or microwave safe bowl, melt the coconut oil with syrup just until liquid. Add the cocoa powder to the mixture and stir until smooth.
- For the cherry berry mixture, add the ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth.
- To serve you can layer the three parts as I have done or simply serve them in a bowl like a traditional sundae, starting with the nice cream, then berry mixture, then magic shell. Don't forget a cherry on top!