Good morning, anyone care for some waffles?
Before I get into the recipe, can I just say how excited I am after finding out I’m going to Eastern Europe for the first time! More specifically, Poland, and even more specific, the city of Kraków. I’m sure I’ll be making the trip count by visiting some nearby countries as well, but that part isn’t quite ironed out yet. I’ll keep you updated as my plans form and as it gets closer.
Okay, so I promise I’m not obsessed with lavender, however I can’t promise the same for berries. While I was shopping recently I came across a product called blueberry lavender almond milk. It definitely caught my eye because I happen to have both lavender and blueberries growing in my own yard. How ironic, right?
You know me, I’ll often plan a recipe on either, how the pictures will look or on a certain ingredient. In this case it was kind of both. I really don’t use lavender in food very much but when I found this almond milk at Trader Joe’s I knew it would be a great ingredient. The flavor it gives to the waffles is pretty subtle and nice. I also added some protein powder to these to make them a little more filling.
If you don’t like to use protein powders you can replace it with some additional flour. These waffles are the perfect weekend breakfast with family and friends. I also like to make a large batch ahead of time and keep them ready in the freezer.
Now depending on the type of protein powder you use, if any at all, these may be more or less sweet. Mine turned out very sweet. In fact, I didn’t even need to add any syrup. I added some sprigs of lavender for the photo value as well, but you don’t need to have any fresh lavender to make these. Also, if you can’t buy this same flavor of almond milk where you live, feel free to replace it with some basic vanilla. The waffles will still be delicious and you can still add in the blueberries! 😉
Enjoy this morning's breakfast with something new. These waffles are filled with the flavors of blueberries + lavender.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 cups TJ's blueberry lavender almond milk (or plain almond milk)
- 1 scoop plant-based vanilla protein powder
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- In a medium mixing bowl, mash the banana with a fork and stir in the chia seeds. Now stir in vanilla, almond milk, and water and allow it to thicken for about 5 minutes. Stir in the salt, protein powder, gluten-free flour, and baking powder. Lastly stir in the cider vinegar and allow the bater to thicken while heating the waffle iron.
- Heat a waffle iron and pour in batter according to package instructions. Note that these waffles might require a bit more time than other similar recipes.