Is there such a thing as being too obsessed with all things Christmas? And even if there is, is there anything wrong with that?
I’ll leave that open for you to decide as I’m busy celebrating the season over here. There’s frost all over the windows this morning and the fires burning in the background to my coffee sipping while snuggled in a flannel blanket close to the sparkling Christmas tree. I love this time of year. Alright, so our current house has a gas fire so my scene is missing the smell the smoke and, yes, it’s also very cold outside for any outings which is a bit bit of a down also. Hey, life isn’t perfect but enjoying each moment for what it is instead of focusing on what it’s not is a good way to live it I think.
So I made some waffles for you today! I seem to have left my old waffle iron back in Chile but luckily I now live where there’s Costco five minutes away. Not gonna lie, I’ve been really loving that fact this season, especially when it means my parents come home with things like brand new Belgian waffle irons every now and again. Obviously a new kitchen appliance means I’ve gotta share a recipe, right?
There are few flavors I enjoy more than chai so I decided to make a classic buttermilk waffle and spice it up with all the flavor. These are so easy to make and make a perfect addition to a cozy morning. Or, if you’re weird like me and you disregard any stereotypical opinions about food and food timing, you can even enjoy them at random times of the day like for lunch or even dessert! Omg, have you ever eaten waffles with ice cream?
Of course, they also can be enjoyed as a perfect start to your day and you can top them however your heart desires.
For these I simply added some of my current favorite things right now, pecans and pomegranate arils because they’re in season, and raspberries because they’re my favorite! Then some whipped cream and a sprinkle of powdered sugar and some maple syrup all go so deliciously well with this. Oh, and if you don’t have a waffle iron, now worries. This recipe can easily be made into pancakes instead.
Happy hump day and stay cozy
What better way to kick off the day than with these perfectly spiced buttermilk waffles and a warm cup of coffee or cocoa???
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (packed) brown sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups water or milk
- 1/4 cup mashed sweet potato (can sup pumpkin, banana, or applesauce)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 cups full-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground anise
- non-stick cooking spray or oil for greasing the iron (optional)
- Combine flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder, and spices in a large mixing bowl. In separate bowl, beat eggs with coconut oil, vanilla, buttermilk, water, and sweet potato until smooth. Pour into dry ingredients and add vanilla, sourdough starter, and milk.
- Heat a waffle iron and spray lightly with cooking spray. Cook waffles according to manufacturer's instructions.