Anyone in the mood for a pizza today?
But really, what kind of a question is that? I mean, maybe there are some people out there that aren’t big fans of pizza, but personally I live in a house full of guys (and girls) who would never be able to turn down pizza.
Today’s pizza isn’t just any pizza. Nope, definitely not your average red sauce pizza with pepperoni, but instead we’re doing breakfast style pizzas! How does that sound, because around here pizza for breakfast is a favorite. Actually, some of my brothers like cold slices of leftover pizza right out of the fridge. Okay, personally that’s not my style but that just goes to show you how much my family loves pizza.
So I’ve had this idea in my mind for ages but for some reason I’d never made it happen until recently. There was just this one morning that I was like, “We need to have pizza for breakfast today!” so I grabbed my ingredients and started a dough rising while I fried bacon. (I’ll be honest again here, bacon isn’t my personal favorite, but you guys already knew that.) However, with the rest of my gang, bacon wins every. single. time! The other thing that makes this pizza stand out from the rest is that rather than using red sauce it gets slathered in a generous layer of gravy so that you’re bringing all the classic flavors of an American-style breakfast in one pizza shaped package!
Alright, but you’ve got a pizza to make, and here’s the deal. All that you need for this pizza is just a few basic ingredients that you’ve probably already got in your fridge and pantry for typical everyday breakfasts. Oh, and if you want to make it even faster and easier feel free to use a pre-made (either one you’ve made ahead yourself or one from the store) pizza dough. I’ve included the crust recipe I use most often but any single pizza crust should work fine and I do use Trader Joe’s from time to time.
Have a great morning (hopefully filled with delicious pizza!)
Is it breakfast for dinner or dinner for breakfast? But honestly who even cares, this is the pizza of your dreams!
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- cornmeal for pan (optional)
- 8 slices uncooked bacon
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup or 4 slices of cheddar cheese (or cheese of choice)
- salt & pepper to taste
- reserved bacon grease
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 - 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- Stir water, sugar, and yeast together until yeast is dissolved and allow to sit for about 5 minutes. Pour into a large mixing bowl and whisk in salt and oil until combined. Add the all purpose flour a little at a time and mix until dough comes together. Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead for a few minutes, adding a bit more flour as needed until the dough pulls away from the surface. It should be smooth and resilient. Place in oiled bowl and cover, then place in warm place to rise for about 1 hour until nearly doubled in size. (If you have the time to let it rise longer it gives it better flavor.)
- Cook bacon in a medium skillet until crispy. Turn off heat and place bacon on paper towel lined plates and reserve pan with grease.
- Now make the gravy. Sprinkle flour into the grease and stir until smooth. Slowly stir in milk until no lumps remain and place back over low heat. Stir constantly until thickened then add salt and pepper to taste, remove from heat, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 C) and lightly oil or spray a pizza pan and dust with cornmeal if desired. On a lightly floured surface, roll out your dough into a large circle about the size of your pan. Place on prepared pan and spread the gravy on top in an even layer.
- Sprinkle on the cheese, crumble the bacon, and crack the eggs on top, then place in the oven and bake for 20 - 25 minutes until the crust is golden brown along the edges and the eggs are fully cooked. (*see note on the eggs)
*If you prefer scrambled eggs feel free to beat the eggs before pouring onto the pizza.