Hey my lovelies!
You know those times when you can’t decide what carb to focus your meal on? Happens to me all the time. I mean, there are just so many meals that go so well with many different carbs. Like meatballs in marinara, do you make subs or do spaghetti? Or like when you go for Chinese, are you a rice or a noodle type? Ah, and then there’s always the dilemma with Mexican food, burritos? nachos? tacos? quesadilla? Personally I always like the bowl style Mexican food, so rice. I hope you’re into that also because this taco Tuesday is gonna be bowl-style!
Okay, so here’s the game plan I always follow when the carb question comes up, just have a little of everything! For example, I really wanted to try this recipe idea with some sweet potatoes but, but then I also wanted to add some rice. I mean, I could definitely have gone with just one, but a little of everything is just more fun, right?
I’ll be honest, I like adding chicken to mine but that’s only an option and for the recipe I left it out which makes this meal gluten free and vegan which I always love because I know it’s something I can share with more of you.
What’s great about this recipe is it’s pretty easy and straight forward. I know the ingredients list might look long but there’s no complicated steps or fancy ingredients. I love to simplify it by using pre-cooked brown (or white) rice. Also, if you’re the meal prepping type, you can even cook the sweet potatoes ahead or even prep the whole bowls and simply add the toppings later on when you’re ready to dig in.
It didn’t make it into the pictures but I also topped mine with some Greek yogurt (or you can use sour cream or vegan”sour cream” by mixing some lime juice with coconut cream) and some crumbled tortilla chips for a little crunch. The boy always drown their Mexican food in hot sauce, but that’s up to you. As I’ve tried to explain to them many times, I actually like to taste my food, so mild sauce for me it is. I
I really hope you enjoy these!
These burrito bowls are quick and easy, but loaded with all the best flavors of Mexican food, plus they're gluten free and vegan.
- 4 cups steamed brown rice
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 lime (juice and zest)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 (red, green, or yellow) bell peppers, seeded and diced:
- 1 can (15 ounce) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (5 ounce) can green chiles, undrained
- 2 cups whole kernel corn
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach greens (or your favorite salad mix)
- about 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- chopped green onion or chives
- 1 cup your favorite salsa, (homemade is the best)
- avocado slices or guacamole
- coconut cream mixed with 1 teaspoon lime juice for "sour cream"
- extra limes for squeezing over top
- Combine onion, garlic, and olive oil in a medium to large skillet and saute over medium high heat for 3 to 4 minutes until soft and browned. Stir in remaining ingredients, reduce heat to low, and cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes until liquid is absorbed and rice is hot. Cover to keep warm until serving.
- While the rice simmers, heat olive oil in a small skillet and the sweet potatoes along with about 1/2 inch of water. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes until most of the liquid is cooked off and the potatoes are almost tender. Add lime juice, zest, garlic, onions, and peppers. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes until peppers are softened. Add the black beans, chiles, and corn and stir over heat for about 2 to 3 more minutes, Stir in cilantro and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour them into a separate dish and cover to keep warm.
- Add refried beans to the pepper pan and stir over heat for about 3 minutes to warm then season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
- Layer your bowls with baby greens, desired amounts of the hot rice, refried beans, pepper/sweet potato mixture, and any of your desired toppings.