The time the sun rises just keeps getting later and later now that it’s almost winter. I’m up for hours before I even see the sun these days and everything keeps getting pushed later and later. It’s really messing with my head.
Something else that’s driving me crazy, I’m still not used to this climate. It’s cold but it doesn’t really freeze so everything just stays really, really wet. We’ve been dealing with mold issues and other not-so-fun stuff because of it. Incidentally, does anyone know how to get rid of slugs in your bathtub because I’m getting really sick of sharing the tub with my my new slimy friends that never seem to stop coming, eww. They are relentlessly haunting the bathroom. I guess it could be worse and I’m sorry that’s probably TMI. Wow, I’m just a barrel of sunshine today, aren’t I?
I’m actually in a pretty good mood today, I don’t know why I’m rambling. I told you, the daylight hours are messing with my head.
So doughnuts anyone? These are a bit different I’ll grant you, but I thought they were pretty good. Do you remember when I mentioned on a recent weekend that I was going to have to make something with sweet corn and M&Ms like that ice cream flavor? Well, as you can see I finally got around to it.
Okay, if you divided all of my recipes into sane and insane these would probably be near the top of the latter list. Hey, there are no rules when it comes to desserts as far as I’m concerned but if you’re the type of person who sticks to plain vanilla at all times than this is probably not going to be your thing and that’s okay. I’m not gonna lie, I couldn’t even get everyone in my family to try them, but in all fairness to my poor doughnuts that could be said about many foods that I make. Even the halfway normal ones.
If you’re feeling adventurous in the kitchen then you should totally try these. They are the type of thing that you just have to do just to say that you’ve done it before. I think they were just worth how much I got to laugh at the everyones faces when they looked at them and said “is that corn?”. Crazy I may be, but guess what? Crazy people have way more fun!
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup sweet corn kernals (plus more for topping)
- 1/2 cup m&ms (plus more for topping)
- 2 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour well (This is not just a friendly suggestion. Skip this step and die!, Not really, but they will stick.)
- Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Add yolks and whisk well. Add all other ingredients except corn and m&ms and mix until you have a smooth batter.
- Spoon enough batter into doughnut pans to fill each slot to the rim. If you don't have enough slots to do them all at once just bake them in batches and re-flour the pans for the second batch. Bake for 18 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove and cool, for at least 5 minutes but not completely, before gently loosening from pan with a small spoon. (You'll probably have at least one stick to the pan and break but that's okay. You can use the crumbs for a topping) Place on cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Meanwhile, whisk ingredients for icing in a small bowl until smooth. When doughnuts are completely cooled spread on top of each and sprinkle with desired amount of corn, m&ms, and if you want, the crumb-age from any doughnut fails.