Sup, my friends?
So I’ve gotta say, after a few weeks of traveling and being on the go so much it’s been really strange to try to get back to sharing recipes again. It’s kind of hard to explain but, regardless, I’m really happy to be back in the kitchen.
I’ve been really in the mood for simple classics recently. I’ve also been really trying to come up with more balanced treats to share because I know personally I always feel better when I’m eating something that’s both nutritious AND delicious and I’m guessing you do too.
On another note, I’ve been messing around with video a lot more since going to the DLive event. Obviously that was huge inspiration but I’ve just been following in love with this alternate medium of sharing that I’ve only just started to explore. What I’m trying to say is don’t be surprised if I start heading towards sharing more video and less posts.
Anyway, about this banana bread, it’s super super easy and all you really need is a bowl and a stirring utensil. I wanted to keep the ingredients list as short as possible for convenience’ sake and, going back to keeping things healthy, I wanted to try using only the bananas for sweetness.
I have to say, this was everything I was going for and more. In fact, it just might be my new go-to banana bread recipe. Like I said, there’s no sugar, but there’s also no dairy or eggs, which makes it vegan, and I used spelt flour that stuff just sounds healthy, right? Of course, if you’ve got a gluten allergy I’m sure a GF flour would be fine to replace it.
Of course, what’s a banana bread without the add-ins? And when I say “add-ins” I really mean chocolate (duh) oh, and some nuts for crunch too. I’ve been eating on this bread for days now and I can’t imagine getting tired of it, but I guess we’ll see.
So without further adeu, enjoy the video and I hope you’re inspired to make this for yourself!
A one-bowl, super simple, and delicious banana bread with no added sugar and it's completely vegan.
- 5 bananas, divided
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk (stirred from can)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2/3 cups chocolate chunks (vegan if needed)
- 1/2 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups spelt flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Soak the chia seeds in 2 tablespoons of water and set aside. Mash 4 of the bananas in a medium bowl with a large fork. Stir in the coconut milk then add the remaining ingredients (reserve about 1/3 cup chocolate chunks for top), including the soaked chia seeds, and stir until you have a thick batter.
- Grease a 5x9 inch loaf pan and scrape the mixture inside and spread evenly. Top the batter with the remaining banana, cut in half, and the remaining chocolate chunks.
- Bake the bread for 45-55 minutes until the top is starting to brown then remove and cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing.
- Store in an airtight container.